At First Presbyterian Church we are part of the connectional system of the PCUSA and are governed by the Session according to the Book of Order.
Session of FPC Elders are chosen by the people of the Church. Together they exercise leadership, government, and discipline. The Session has the power and responsibility to administer the program and mission of the church. Session meets on the third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m.
Clerk of Session: Mike French
Minutes Clerk: Cindy Graham
Class of 2018: Cindy Graham, Dale Maxwell, Sally Rodriguez, Lena Ruiz and Mary Saxon
Class of 2019: Scott Farnham, Wanda Feldner, Carla Hopwood, and Annie Morales
Class of 2020: Michelle Blackman, Peggy Dow, Susan Jarbone, Marge Lane, Rick Sparks and Ed Trailer
Committees of Session
This committee's main duties are conducting an annual stewardship/generosity campaign, recommending the balanced annual operating budget to Session, and reviewing and reporting to Session the monthly financial reports.
Administrations is also responsible for effective management, maintenance, use and acquisition of property, facilities and equipment. These costs include service contracts (pest control, custodial uniforms, tree service, etc.), the repair and maintenance of the church's mechanical, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, overall maintenance of the church (paint, custodial equipment and supplies, grounds equipment and supply) and the costs of utilities (electricity, gas and water).
Session Chair, Cindy Graham
The mission of the Christian Education committee is to glorify God through Christian education for the purpose of fostering Christian faith and commitment, nurturing spiritual growth, and developing servant-leaders. We accomplish this by providing diverse, biblically based programs and learning opportunities. We seek to develop individual’s spiritual gifts, to grow the faith of our church community through the Holy Spirit, to nurture knowledge in Jesus Christ, and to serve God. Christian Education includes Sunday school, adult education, library, Kidz Klub, Vacation Bible School, Youth Group, Scouts program and children’s nursery.
Session Chair, Wanda Feldner
The Communications Committee responsibility is to further the growth, vitality, and mission of the First Presbyterian Church of El Cajon through timely and relevant communications and though activities which include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee the use and development of effective communication tools, including but not limited to, the church website and social media;
- Identify opportunities through which church events may be communicated and advertised to both the congregation and the surrounding community;
- Provide tools and support to assist in effective, coordinated calendaring of church activities;
- Assist leaders of church committees and programs with promotion of events upon appropriate request;
- Seek opportunities to effectively market the First Presbyterian Church of El Cajon to the surrounding community.
Session Chair, Lena Ruiz
The committee plans and provides events that give members and guest opportunities to socialize and nurture friendships within the church. The committee works with other church groups and committees to plan events of a fellowship nature. Planning includes set-up and clean-up of the kitchen and of Richardson Hall. Maintaining and equipping the kitchens and making supplies available are also part of the responsibilities. In addition, the Committee organizes Sunday morning refreshments including the scheduling of assigned servers.
Session Chair, Annie Morales
Membership and Fellowship
This committee is responsible to oversee the visitors and membership on Sunday mornings. This includes finding ways to make people feel welcome and follow-up on those who worship with us. This also includes such things as
, registration forms , the patio presentation, maintaining worship attendance records, and facilitating the ease of worship as people enter our church. The committee works with the Deacons to reach out to members and visitors who have come to us for spiritual growth.
Session Chair, Marge Lane
The Church in Mission Committee seeks to discover the mission needs and opportunities within God’s community and provides support, funding and volunteer time to many worthy causes to promote God’s love through service. Click here for more information on the groups the Mission Committee Supports.
Session Chair, Dale Maxwell
The Personnel committee is responsible for hiring staff, providing equitable compensation for staff and evaluating the staff to ensure that, within the financial means of the church, the staffing levels are appropriate in accomplishing the ministry and mission of First Presbyterian Church.
Session Chair, Sally Rodriquez
The Worship Committee oversees all activities and groups that are involved in creating the worship experience at First Presbyterian Church. This committee coordinates the services and events that comprise all aspects of worship including the following:
- Music: Promote the program of music throughout the church through participation in adult, youth and children’s choirs and instrumental groups.
- Ushers: Recruit, train and supervise ushers at all services of worship except weddings, ensuring a cross section of the church is involved.
- Flowers: Manage the flower calendar for worship, and special events like Easter and Christmas.
- Weddings/Memorials: Along with Pastor, meet with individuals planning events, oversee and direct all events held at FPC.
- Sanctuary: Keep the Sanctuary and Narthex current, clean and appointed for worship and special services.
- Communion: Obtain and prepare communion elements and arrange for the elders serving communion. Clean and put away items used.
- Sound: Maintain and operate all sound equipment; recruit, train and schedule lay people to operate the equipment at various services.
Session Chair, Scott Farnham